Is an extra domain name a good investment?
There are several reasons to own more than one domain name
- Stops someone else owning it.
- Different version of your main domain name, e.g. .COM, .NET.
- Shorter or longer version of your main name, e.g. www.platywebs.com.au / www.platypuswebsites.com.au.
- Create more links to your website for search engine optimisation (SEO).
How extra domain names can be used as links?
- URL Forwarding of extra name.
The extra name opens the website but the search engines see only the small amount of text allowed in the forwarding file.
- Parking extra name on existing website.
The extra name opens the website and the search engines see all of the text of the website.
- Hosting the extra name with a separate web page on which there is a link to the main website.
- Search engines will see the text of the separate web page and the link and count that link as an incoming link to the main website.
- This is of more value than the first two options in “search engine optimisation” of the main website.
- On this separate website you can extoll the virtues of your main website using many key words.
- You can fill it and and attach more pages to give this website more relevance to Google. (Take care not to duplicate pages of your main website)