WordPress has many benefits:
- Editing online without knowing any HTML
- Can be managed from any computer in the world.
- Can have multiple contributors.
- Website template designs can be customised.
- Suits small or large websites.
- Mobile Phone responsive websites.
- Websites can be made blogs or static sites.
- 54,000+ Plugins to suit most requirements, most of them free.
- Themes / Designs / Templates number in tens of thousands.
- Infinite Scalability.
- eCommerce plugin Woocommerce enables online stores sized from 1 product to tens of thousands of products with multiple categories, subcategories, attributes and brands.
- Woocommerce can also be used for a non-commercial catalogue. e.g. A database of wetland plants.
- WordPress share of content management systems worldwide 78% (May 2023). Nearest competitor 5%.
- A wide community of help
- Software continually updated.
- Supported by WordPress.org
- Favoured by Google.
Convert a website to WordPress C.M.S.
Make sure that you have at least 100 Mb space on your hosting plan available for a WordPress conversion. You will need more space for photos, ecommerce and plugins. But hosting is cheap.
- First, copy your website to /public_html/old
- In your cPanel, select Software > Softaculous Apps Installer > WordPress > Install.
- Install WordPress into public_html
- Login to www.yourdomain/wp-admin
- Under Appearance, choose a theme. You can change the theme at any time without losing web pages.
- Customise by loading a suitable header image to suit the width of the site and height of the header that you want, and any other customisation.
- In Pages-New create a home page
- In Settings, Discussion, untick the option allowing comments
- In Settings, Permalinks, set Custom as /%Post Title%
- In Settings, Reading, set option to static site. Nominate the home page title here.
- Create blank pages with titles from the webpages on your old website and with Order set to the order you want them on the menu.
- Trash the Sample page
- Make sub-pages as dropdowns by making their parents top level pages.
- Edit the pages and copy the text and images from your old site’s pages to the corresponding WordPress pages.
- You can load images from your hard disk using the Media icon on the page editing screen.
- There are plugins to add many features: Woocommerce, Image Galleries and sliders, Database optimisers, Caches, SEO, Security, Product importers, Contact forms, 404, etc.
Once your WordPress website is working well for you, delete your old site.